When you think of outdoor advertising campaigns, billboards are probably the first thing that comes to mind. But while billboard advertising is a great way to get your message out, you should also take advantage of the numerous other types of out-of-home advertising that can pay off in big ways.
A well-planned outdoor campaign can:
- Inform consumers about products, services or events.
- Reinforce your brand with repeated exposure.
- Influence buying decisions in real-time.
- Provide a cost-effective advertising campaign that goes where the customers are.
Explore all of the possibilitiesBillboards and airplane banners have been around for decades. More innovative out-of-home advertising media include painting graffiti on the side of a building (legally, of course), "wrapping" buses, showing ads in movie theaters, placing signs on top of taxicabs and running ads on digital and interactive kiosks.
Find and compare outdoor advertising companies and solutionsThe outdoor advertising industry divides itself into categories such as general, street furniture, transit and alternative outdoor media.
Make it work togetherAn outdoor campaign using several different types of media requires a healthy dose of coordination. Even if you're planning on running a single ad with a single message across a number of media, you'll need several versions of the ad to fit the various sizes of the outdoor media, and you'll need to negotiate with a number of vendors.
Decide on a themeFor the best results, your campaign should have a theme, whether it's promoting the quality of your products, your impeccable customer service or your low prices. You can vary the message of individual ads but they should all relate to the theme.
- Think outside the box, but also keep your target market in mind. Graffiti artwork in an artsy area of town may be appropriate for some businesses, but ask yourself if that is your target market.
- Make sure your company logo is on every ad placed to help brand your company.
- Measure your results in every campaign. Ask customers where they heard about you. If one type of outdoor advertising is catching their eye, that is where you might want to increase ad dollars on your next campaign.