Print advertising campaigns are an ideal way to promote the goods or services your company offers. Ad placement in magazines allows your business to target specific demographics.
According to one source, it's estimated that there are around 160,000 magazines published around the world. That's an astounding number of publications in which your company can buy print ads.
When you are ready to look into print ad buying and placement, there are a few factors to keep in mind:
1. You must define the demographic you wish to reach with your print advertising campaign.
2. You can find companies to help with your print ad buying needs.
3. Create a budget, and verify that the print ad prices fit within that budget.
4. Make sure the magazines you are advertising in will be published at the right time for your marketing campaign.
Identify which magazine will work best for your print advertising placementMagazines yield excellent market segmentation, not only geographically, but by special interest, since many products appeal to some groups and not others. Each magazine has a unique circulation and target audience. It's vital to understand which magazines will be most useful for your print ad placement.
Understand the cost of print advertisingAdvertising rates will vary depending on each magazine's popularity. A magazine with a huge circulation charges more than a start-up publication. You can download Rate Cards from many magazines' websites. The Rate Card lists information on the cost of print advertising, circulation and more. Most magazines charge by the inch--however you would need to know the exact column sizes for each magazine to get the sizing correct. This can be overwhelming, and you may decide to work with a company that specializes in print advertising placement.
Call the reader to action with your print advertising campaignThe reason to buy print ads is to increase awareness of your company, and therefore increase business. You must catch the attention of the reader, and build in a call to action. Include a coupon in your ad, or a special offer which is only available for a limited time. This helps achieve the desired result--new business and revenue.
- Most print advertising buying is available online. Magazines and print advertising agencies accept ad requests via email, and will submit proofs before running your ad.
- Be aware of deadlines for any magazine you intend to place advertisements in. An ad agency will keep track of these deadlines, or you can find this information on the rate cards for individual publications.