The spinach plant likes cool weather, and it will grow quite quickly if given the proper growing conditions. Keeping a spinach plant healthy and growing, however, takes a bit more work. As a general rule, make sure your spinach plants have space between them to get air circulation (this will prevent fungus from growing). Also try to keep water off of spinach leaves in the evening.
If growing spinach is not part of your business plan, you can still add this nutritious crop to your food business. There are a variety of spinach growers out there, including those that grow organic spinach, that will distribute wholesale spinach in all corners of the country. Before you enter the spinach business, ask yourself the following:
1. Do you want to purchase spinach seeds in order to grow spinach on your own?
2. Would you prefer to buy spinach from spinach producers and wholesalers?
3. Do you want to focus on spinach companies that offer organic spinach?
Grow your own spinachSpinach is rich in so many nutrients, including iron, vitamins A and C, potassium, and folic acid. There are several suggested spinach plant varieties to grow in the United States, including some disease-resistant cultivars such as 'Melody,' Olympia' and 'Tyee.' When purchasing spinach seeds, choose ones that will grow best in your soil and climate conditions, just as you would any other plant.
Choose from spinach producers across the countryFresh, quality spinach can be had even without growing it on your own. Research the many spinach companies out there, and choose ones that seem to focus on the type of spinach you or your customers want most.
Find organic spinach growersTake freshness and quality one step further by exploring organic spinach. Just like most produce today, the cost of organic spinach has gone down as more and more customers are eating up the stuff.
- There is plenty of spinach information online to help you learn how to grow spinach. Also ask your local nursery or local farmer for helpful tips.
- Order a small quantity of spinach as your first shipment. You want to be sure customers are interested in the product before you invest too much money into it.