Soybeans are native to Australia, Africa and Asia. They have become increasingly popular in the United States due to their many nutrients, such as protein, fiber, and calcium. Growing soybeans requires full sun and warm weather, plus a soil rich in nitrogen and plenty of water.
If growing soybeans is not part of your business plan, you can still add this nutritious crop to your food business. There are a variety of soybean products out there, including soybean oil, health and beauty products, and more. Before you enter the soybean market, ask yourself the following:
1. Do you want to purchase soybean seed in order to grow soybeans on your own?
2. Would you prefer to buy soybeans from soybean farms and distributors?
3. Do you want to focus on other soybean products, such as soybean oil?
Grow your own soybeansSoybeans are relatively easy to grow and harvest. Like other beans, soybeans are susceptible to pests and bacterial and wilt disease, so take precautionary measures to ensure healthy soybean plants. When purchasing soybean seeds, choose ones that will grow best in your soil and climate conditions, just as you would any other plant.
Choose from soybean production companies and farms across the countryQuality soybeans can be had even without growing them on your own. Research the many soybean farms and distributors out there, and choose ones that seem to be able to provide you with the best product in the timeframe you need.
Consider offering soybean oil and other soybean productsSoybean oil is used by the food industry for cooking and can be found in food products such as salad dressings, mayonnaise, snack foods and coffee creamers.
- There is plenty of information on soybeans online to help you learn about growing soybeans. Also ask your local nursery or local farmer for helpful tips.
- Order a small quantity of soybeans or soybean products as your first shipment, and look for the best soybean prices possible from leading distributors. You want to be sure customers are interested in the product before you invest too much money into it.