By Jeanine Leder, Business.com Account Manager
Running a successful PPC (Pay-Per-Click) campaign in today's highly competitive marketplace requires specific knowledge about the demand and marketability of the product or service you are selling. To achieve the very best ROI on your advertising dollar, it is important to make sure your PPC campaigns are closely monitored and optimized.
Here are the Top 5 best practices Business.com follows to optimize our advertisers' Pay-Per-Click campaigns:
1) Data Analysis -- Allocate a set period of time each day to collect and analyze keyword data, click volume, conversion rates, sources of traffic and daily uptime of the campaign to determine where the client's budget is best spent. Compare how these metrics measure up against the advertiser's individual goals to ensure that we are delivering the highest ROI.
- Keyword Data -- Business.com performs keyword research at the campaign level to draw the most appropriate audience to achieve the optimal CPL. Account managers have narrow, specific keyword lists for those clients focused on low CPL and profitability, as well as large broad keyword lists for those clients desiring high traffic and brand awareness. Using the Google Adwords Keyword Tool, relevant keyword lists can be produced using "exact match", "phrase match", or "broad match" options to generate the keywords to match the campaign goals.
- Conversion Rates/Sources of Traffic -- Using some form of conversion tracking is critical to track metrics down to the keyword and category levels. It also provides you with visibility into how individual traffic sources are performing so that you can focus on those sources that are delivering the highest ROI.
2) Category Relevance -- We find that campaign goals and target audience can vary wildly depending on the advertiser, the product or service and so on. Identifying your goals before launching a new campaign ensures that you are starting out your campaign on the right foot. When we launch a new advertiser campaign on Business.com, we spend time getting to know the client's business and their specific goals for the marketing campaign. Based on the information gathered from the client, we recommend all categories that may produce high conversions.
3) Landing Page Evaluation - A landing page is the page that a potential customer comes to after he/she clicks on an ad. High quality, relevant landing pages drive the highest conversion rates. Our team of account managers are trained to recognize the features of an effective landing page and work with clients to optimize the landing page to maximize ROI on the campaign. For more information on landing page optimization, read our earlier blog post.
4) Ad Copy -- Writing effective ad copy to reach the targeted audience(s) is not an exact science. Account managers work with clients to test different ad copy to find out what converts. When writing ad copy, put yourself in the shoes of your audience. How do they think? What would persuade them to click on your ad? Be sure that your ad copy is clear and relevant to your landing page, but don't hesitate to get creative and use an eye grabbing phrase that will lure the audience in and get the click.
5) Budget --Close monitoring of budgets is key to ensuring that your company's marketing dollars are being used effectively. All of the steps above will give you the information that you need to make budgeting decisions based on your ROI.
A successful online marketing campaign does not happen overnight. It is rarely a case of "hitting the bullseye" right out of the gates. It takes time, trial and error, close analysis and a bit of money to get things running smoothly and profitably. Following the 5 tips listed above will help to get you rolling in the right direction. Tell us where you've found success with your PPC campaigns.