This past we week, we had the opportunity to sit down with representatives from Google and Yahoo! to talk about trends in content marketing and online advertising campaigns. While there were several good takeaways from each of the sessions, one of the standouts came from our meeting with Google. They offer a Youtube playbook that outlines an approach for creating a video strategy to build and engage audiences. Even after reading through just the first few pages, I was confident that this would be educational for small and medium-sized business looking to build out their content marketing strategies and on-site content strategy. YouTube can serve as a great content platform for B2B marketers
YouTube as a Content Marketing Platform
The B2B Content Marketing: 2013 Benchmarks, Budgets, and Trends - North America study from MarketingProfs and the Content Marketing Institute found that video had the largest increase of any content marketing tactic in 2012, jumping by 70% from an already large 54% increase in 2011 (Tweet this!). A study from Searchmetrics can help explain this trend. They found that video appeared most frequently, being displayed in over 70% of all the content included in Google's general results. It isn't enough to have videos as a marketing tactic, however. We have to be able to measure the success of our efforts. If you don't know much about the YouTube Creator Playbook, there is an abundance of features B2B marketers can utilize to determine whether or not they are successful in their strategy. Here are a few of my favorite features.
- Because Google understands the difference in clicks and watch-time, they've added "Captivate Your Audience" and "Channel Experience," which provides you with tips and strategies to increase watch-time.
- The customer experience can and will impact a buyer's behavior. "Channel Experience" allows users to build a cohesive channel experience for their viewers so they can build a loyal audience and drive subscriptions.
- We're all looking for ways to rank higher in search engines. YouTube Analytics and the ability to create Metadata for each video will make it easier for you to optimize your videos for YouTube and search engine indexing.
- Paid advertising online and on social media sites is on the rise. The "Paid Promotion" section allows businesses to create promotional videos and use readily-available YouTube promotional tools to build a loyal audience.
Creating Effective B2B Video Content
Think video is a space only for B2C businesses? Think again. With the right purpose and strategy in mind, video marketing provides B2B companies with a great opportunity to generate new leads and continue nurturing current leads through the funnel. In fact, the CMI study also found that 58% of respondents believe video to be an effective form of B2B marketing (Tweet this!). While the target length of a video should be between 1 and three minutes, you shouldn't feel limited by the topics you can create videos around. If you're unsure of the type of videos that your audience is most interested in, you have a few budget-friendly options:
- Interviews -- Have your content team interview experts within your business or answer common questions received from customers
- Presentations -- Presentations can be repurposed into videos without too much trouble. Insert a voice over and some background music to add pizzazz.
- On-Location -- B2B marketers spend a lot of time meeting with clients, partners and other businesses. Take these opportunities to showcase your employees at events.
- Product Demos -- Just as you would perform a product demo in-person or over the phone, you can perform a demo in front of the camera or using a screen recording solution when applicabl.e
- Case Studies -- Take a case study and turn it into a video with before and after shots, a voice over, charts, and more.
Our sessions with Google, Yahoo! and other partners in the Bay Area helped us gain new insight into digital marketing and demand generation trends for small and medium-sized enterprises. Because Business.com is focused on helping your business grow, we want to continue sharing our learnings from the tour with all of you.