Your telephone system is the lifeline between your company and your customers, but as innovation is advancing at a faster rate than ever before – how often should you be looking at reviewing, and updating your existing business telephone system?
There are many times when you may be forced into reviewing your phone system needs, these can be any of the following:
- You’re moving offices
- You’re current phone system has packed in
- Customer or staff complaints have forced you to upgrade
- Your phone system is technically obsolete (repairs have become too expensive)
- Your call volume is increasing
- You need more functionality
- You have taken on additional staff
- You have expanded your business into multiple sites
- Your current phone system is unable to grow alongside your business
You should be looking to carry out full maintenance checks on your phone system every 12 months, and if it is a legacy or ‘old’ system even more frequently.
What kind of things should you routinely review?
There are often signs that will tell you when you need to upgrade your phone system, but if you set up a quality control checklist for your reviews you will be able to potentially spot these signs before they happen. You will most likely want to ask yourself the following:
Business critical questions:
- Has your business outgrown your existing phone system?
- If not, how about in five, 10 years’ time?
- Does it contain all the features that are necessary for your business to perform?
- Is the current cabling infrastructure in your office suitable for your current phone system?
- Do you feel there are any benefits that you might be missing out on by not upgrading?
- Are you missing or experiencing a large amount of dropped calls?
- Have you experienced any major issues with your phone system in the past year? How many?
- What is your call quality like?
- Have you received any complaints about the quality of your outbound calls?
- Is there a hiss or any other background noise?
- Do you ever experience a delay after dialling?
- How is the general performance of your phone system hardware/software?
- Have repairs become too expensive?
- Are you finding that there are parts that are hard to get during repairs?
Service provider questions:
- How is the support from your phone system provider?
- Is your current business phone system provider meeting your expectations?
- Are you paying too much for your phone system/maintenance?
- Are you finding that you are having to contact your phone system provider much more than 12 months’ ago?
How are phone systems advancing?
Phone systems have advanced at the same pace as computers over the last decade, imagine running your business on computer equipment that is 10 or 15 years old? Business owners researching current market trends will quickly recognise that replacing an outdated phone system with a Hosted phone system is one of the few ways to improve quality and future proof your business.
With a Hosted solution it is unnecessary to review and upgrade your system on a regular basis – as the provider will take care of this for you.
Elite Telecom offer a free health check on all your business communications and get to understand how your business operates to offer improvements and help reduce costs.
Photo credit: nmbankruptcylaw.com
Alex Cliffe is the Operations Director for Elite Telecom, a UK based provider of Unified Communications and Phone Systems. If you have any questions of the content of this article do not hesitate to get in touch with Elite Telecom by visiting the website.