Your book is written, and you want the world to have access to your prose as quickly as possible, so consider electronic book publishers. E-books haven't caught on as quickly as predictions forecasted, however, they are a viable alternative for readers and the market is growing.
Think how much easier it is to carry twenty full-length novels on a small handheld unit instead of the physical novels in your arms. Vacation reading just became a lot more convenient. If your goal is to be published, there is no downside to e-book publishing:
1. There are book lovers of all types, so you will have an audience if you publish an e-book.
2. If your book is also published traditionally, you will have an extended audience if it's available through e-book suppliers.
3. Reading a book on a screen takes some getting used to, but more and more people are becoming comfortable with the conveniences of handheld technology.
Use e-book publishing tools for e-book self-publishing
Finding e-book publishing software is becoming easier as the market needs increase for the technology. Finding a free e-book publisher is well within the realm of possibilities, too. Publishing e-books can be as simple as creating PDF or EXE versions of your book and making them available via your website.
Choose from a growing list of e-book distributors
As the list of e-book distributors continues to grow, so do the number of available e-books. Although most available readers are free and can adapt to any e-book format, you will want to consider the reading platform when distributing your e-book.
Find an e-book publisher to do the work for you
Turning your manuscript over to a professional who can format your manuscript into an e-book may be what you're looking for. You can find professionals who will assist you in any step of the process from initial design to final publication.
- Many Web-savvy marketing folks offer e-book generators, which is great on the surface. However, they require your name and e-mail address be added to their marketing database before they share any information. Avoid these unless you want a lot of junk mail.
- If free e-books are an important marketing tool for you, using the rebranding EXE formats (versus PDF) is a key to success. People will be more inclined to promote your free e-book if they can customize it with their personal affiliate links.