Many local print shops will print your magazine; however, since they don't specialize in magazine printing, their prices are usually out of range for most small print magazine budgets. Find a commercial magazine printer that specializes in short-run to medium-run printing.
Offset printing is used so magazines may be printed quickly and cost-effectively. When looking for a printing company:
1. Find a commercial magazine printing company that offers four-color processing.
2. Request samples, and check the quality of the work.
3. See that the magazine printing company's turnaround schedule meets your publication needs.
View samples from printers for magazinesView magazines printed by various magazine printing companies. Most mag printers will send you samples if you request them. Look at the quality and the stability of the structure of the magazines. Pay attention to paper weights, print quality and overall durability of the magazine. Ask about the technology each company uses to print magazines.
Get multiple quotes from commercial magazine printers to compare servicesGet a cost quote from several magazine printers. This will help you determine which one will fit best within your budget. It usually costs less per magazine for a larger run than a shorter one. You'll need to provide information such as how many pages, the number of magazines you want printed, and if you want the printers to distribute your magazine. Most companies have online quote forms. If you've printed a magazine in the past, and are just changing printers, it would be helpful for the magazine printing company to see copies of your last issue.
Look for magazine printing softwareDoing it yourself may be your best option. Look for full-bodied publishing software that is easy for you and your staff to use.
- Learn the magazine trade lingo before talking with magazine printing companies.
- Have all your content and advertisements lined up and laid out to determine how many pages and how many photos will be printed before you seek a quote.