Textbooks can easily cost a college student hundreds of dollars each and every semester. It's often a frustrating part of the college experience because you feel you have no choice but to pay upwards of $100 or more for a single book.
Buying textbooks online gives you the opportunity to save money. You can compare costs of college textbooks, buy used textbooks and even sell textbooks back to recoup some of your money. Unlike the college bookstore, you get a choice on how much money you spend. Learn to:
1. Search for the exact textbook your professor requires.
2. Get the best college textbooks for your money.
3. Place textbooks for sale to make some of your investment back.
Use the ISBN to buy textbooks onlineThe ISBN is the International Standard Book Number, a barcode-like number found on the back cover of textbooks. It's the easiest way to search for new and used textbooks online. If you don't have it, you can use the title or author to search, but you may not end up with the correct edition. It's a better bet to type in the ISBN.
Compare prices when buying textbooks onlineOnce you enter the ISBN number, textbook websites generate a list of available books, some which are sold by the company directly. Other websites allow students to sell their books directly to you. Review the condition of the book, price and shipping information before choosing which one you want. Some will be like-new books, others will be full of highlighting and notes.
Sell textbooks once you're done with them to recoup some of your moneyTextbook buyback programs give you more flexibility for getting rid of your unwanted books than most campus bookstores. Simply enter the book's ISBN and get a quote. If you don't like that quote, check other textbook buyback programs' websites for their prices.
- When you buy college textbooks online, always make sure there's a guarantee or tracking system, just in case they don't arrive in time for your semester.
- Place your order for textbooks as soon as possible so you don't have to attend class bookless.
- When you buy textbooks, try to order as many from one seller as possible to reduce shipping costs.