Group assessments are an important method to measure the quality of work produced by teams. The process of ongoing analysis prevents problems from developing in your team and increases productivity. The quality of work produced by teams must be measured by different groups of people, such as members of the team, other teams, clients and management.
Assessments for teams should include not only information on what areas need improvement, but concrete examples on ways to implement these changes. Team assessments should be an ongoing part of the work cycle. Successful teams share some basic traits.
1. A team building survey shows that all team members are working toward a common goal.
2. Members of an effective team make their plans before acting.
3. Successful team members involve all members of the team in both work and decision making.
4. A high performing team communicates effectively with other team members and those people outside the team.
Use an outside group for team performance consultingOutside consultants are not hampered by interoffice politics or too much background data on employees. They are a good choice for assessments for teams for this reason. They can objectively assess the work and dynamics of the team and offer suggestions for improvement.
Use software programs for a team building assessmentDISC team building is one software product that many companies use, but there are others. A software program for team development and assessment is a good choice when funds do not allow for an outside consultant.
Consider team members feelings about their coworkers when assessing teamsCommunication and inclusion are two of the most important factors when determining if a team will work up to its potential. While your primary concern may be productivity, in the long term the team members' happiness will have a great impact on the strength of the team.
- Group assessments should be conducted discretely, so that the members of the team do not feel singled out or attacked.