Before we delve into the depths of employee advocacy and its benefits, let us understand what it encompasses and which platforms can help you implement it for your business.
What Employee Advocacy Means in Today's Scenario
Employee advocacy is carefully planned marketing content amplified on social media by encouraging the involvement of your employees. The content could be promotional (for branding and sales) or intellectual to establish your employees as expert social representatives of the company.
Related Article: Make It Great: Company Culture Tips From the Best Places to Work
The Platforms That Simplify Management of an Employee Advocacy Program
DrumUp Employee Advocacy Platform
If you are wondering how to convince your employees to participate, platforms like DrumUp are of much help. The platform applies gamification and awards employees points for each share. The points are tallied on a leader board and tracked on the analytics module, which also tracks social media engagement of all posts shared. Additionally, the platform makes industry content sourcing, content upload, storing and sharing with employees an easy task.
The entire basis of this application is sharing the content you intend to amplify via email. So Circulate.it allows you to create a daily newsletter with your promotional and informational content and distribute it to all the employees on your program. The unique feature of the tool is direct social media sharing from the newsletter that you send, without having to leave the inbox. Even if you don't use this app for employee advocacy, you could use it to regularly update your employees.
EveryoneSocial is a platform consistently working on its user experience to improve engagement among employees. It does this by monitoring platform usage and converting that data into insights to design more engaging user interfaces. The content sourcing module of this application also follows suit by tweaking content suggestions to perceived reading patterns. Another plus is the mobile interface which is just as user-friendly.
LinkedIn offers employee advocacy as an extension of the brand page you own. For businesses that are well established on LinkedIn, this application makes a lot of sense. In addition to providing advanced analytics, LinkedIn Elevate pulls in data from your business page to provide extra insights. The platform is seamless because of its integration with LinkedIn and sources its content from Pulse and Newsle, LinkedIn's own content hubs.
Related Article: The 10 Best Ways To Build Company Culture
6 Straight-Out Advantages of Developing Employee Advocates
- Reach: Crunch your numbers. When compared, your employees' connections on social media (put together) are about 100 times more than the connections your brand pages have.
- Credibility and impact: 90 percent of your consumers trust suggestions made by their social media connections while only a meager 33 percent rely on recommendations made by companies themselves.
- Influence: Credible content can influence a major portion (71 percent) of the market on social media.
- Increased engagement: When shared by your employees content resharing can increase by as much as eight times.
- Better conversions: Both for sales and recruitment, employee involvement online can increase conversions.
- Increased revenue: By driving your sales team to be active on social media each of them could outsell their peers by 78 percent.
Tips for the Successful Implementation of an Employee Advocacy Program
- Choose your employee advocacy platform for ease of use (based on your requirements).
- Carefully plan the content that you want to be amplified.
- Select the right representative(s) to monitor and motivate your employee advocates.
- Arrange for the necessary training for the necessary employee participants prior to the implementation of your program.
- Run a test before you implement employee advocacy company-wide.
(test what content is shared most by employees and by their connections on social media).
- Offer exciting rewards and incentives for participation and exceptional performance.
- Consistently monitor your analytics and refine your content for the best effect.
The best takeaway of an employee advocacy program, however (in my opinion) is the opportunity to drastically improve engagement among your employees.
Related Article: Do Nice Businesses Finish First? The Perils of a Toxic Culture
An activity of this kind has the potential to increase overall work productivity, when implemented right. With that said, don't consider your employees an instruments to amplify content but partners in driving your marketing goals and your results will surprise you.