Tight on desk space? You can use two or more computers with one printer or a more sophisticated switch box to share monitors, keyboards and mice between PCs by attaching your devices to a computer switch box.
The simplest of these devices have an AB switch on the front allowing you to select which computer you want to use with your printer. More advanced CPU switches are known as KVM (keyboard, video, mouse) switch boxes that allow you to use multiple computers with a single keyboard, monitor and mouse.
There are many good reasons to use these computer switches, including:
1. You can save valuable space using a box with an A/B switch.
2. You can access data stored on a second computer without having to set up a network.
3. You can access computers running different operating systems from a single keyboard--Microsoft Windows, OSX, and Linux.
Use one printer with two PCs using a PC switch boxA simple AB switch can link two computers with one printer, eliminating the need to attach printers to both PCs. This saves desk space and money.
Use a KVM computer switch to access several computersKVM computer switch boxes are the ultimate space savers for a small office, linking several computers to one keyboard, monitor and mouse.
Use a KVM switch box to share audioA few of the newer KVM switches have stereo audio ports so you can have several computers access one set of speakers.
- Make sure you get the proper cables to link the computer switcher to your computers. For example some boxes my require USB or DVI to connect to mice and monitors.
- KVM switches and A/B switch boxes can handle multiple configurations. Plan for the future, and purchase a switch box that will allow you to add more computers at a later date.