The FBI claims losses due to laptop theft total in the millions each year -- making laptop protection software a must in today's world. Lost hardware, software, and essential data that doesn't get backed up, as well as sensitive data and personal information are all up for grabs with laptop theft. Laptop protection software at the very least serves as a deterrent and at best can save you money by protecting your computer's data.
Notebook security software has come a long way, and today many methods exist to protect data and prevent theft. Read the laptop protection software information listed below. The three types of products listed can serve as your laptop protection software guide to ensure your notebook is safe.
1. Product 1: Disc encryption products -- perhaps the most comprehensive type of laptop protection software available.
2. Product 2: Subscription monitoring systems -- useful for tracking a stolen laptop.
3. Product 3: Password protection software -- prevents thieves from accessing sensitive data.
Find laptop protection software that encrypts your hard driveDisc encryption products work by scrambling all the data on your hard drive the moment you save it to disk. All you have to do is create an encryption key and tell the software what you'd like to protect at the time of initial setup.
Consider a subscription monitoring system as one of your laptop protection software providersSubscription monitoring systems work to track down stolen equipment. The technology can locate a missing laptop and then involve local law enforcement to reclaim it.
Download password protection as a key piece of notebook anti-theft softwarePassword protection software lets you assign passwords to certain programs, thus preventing a thief from accessing sensitive information.
ZDNet features a disk password protection downloadable utility that contains a comprehensive suite of hard-drive restriction tools. You can protect your disk and its partitions with a password, ban any reading or writing activity and limit the launch of specified files. In addition to a laptop protection software list, Brothersoft includes an extensive list of password protection programs that vary in price.
- While laptop security software is critical to maintaining your computer's safety, consider a laptop lock that secures it in place with a key or PIN device as a first line of defense.
- Don't leave your laptop in your car -- it is an open invitation for a break-in.
- Laptop owners often don't realize the cash value of their software and music collections. Keep a hard copy log of hardware and software serial numbers that can speed up insurance claims and criminal investigations.