If your business generates a great deal of data or you want to store important information in a more secure place, external hard drive storage may be a solution for your business. A 160 GB external hard drive or one with even greater storage capabilities can offer your business a number of benefits.
- Business external hard drives store large files that would ordinarily take up too much space on your computer’s hard drive.
- A USB external hard drive is easy to connect to your computer and transfer information to and from.
- External hard drive storage can help you keep sensitive material secure from prying eyes or viruses.
- Back up your computer files with external hard drive storage.
Decide how much memory you need in an external hard driveIf you plan on storing large files or you have a lot of data, consider a 120 GB external hard drive or larger. The amount of storage for the price is increasing, which is good news for businesses and consumers. If you don't need a lot of memory, you may find that a 100 GB external hard drive or less will fit your needs perfectly.
Consider whether you need a portable USB external hard driveFlash drives or portable hard drives can be great for back ups on the road or for transferring files from your work to your home computer. However, the amount of memory is generally less with portable hard drives. Keep in mind that you can always use both a regular external hard drive and a portable one.
Pay attention to external hard drive reviewsYou need a reliable system that will keep your files safe and accessible. Although any computer component can fail, some external hard drives have an infamous reputation for this problem. Check out the many online reviews and guides for external hard drives to make sure you're getting a reliable system.
Investigate the software that comes with the external hard driveThe included software can make file transfers a piece of cake or a frustratingly long process. Look for software that you can customize to do automatic back ups or that will transfer files with a single click.
- Be aware that external hard drives connect to computers using either a USB port or Firewire. Make sure that your computer has the correct connection for the unit you buy.