Building materials are just as important as layout and design when it comes to construction -- especially in commercial and industrial construction. Indeed, building supplies are critical to the success of any structure.
Construction materials can be used for aesthetic purposes to make buildings look nice. More importantly, though, construction materials are vital for structural stability. With the right building materials, you can achieve both goals -- creating an attractive building that is structurally sound. Options for building supplies include:
1. Wood building materials.
2. Stone and brick building materials.
3. Metal building materials.
4. Concrete building materials.
5. Glass building materials.
6. Green building materials.
Use wood building materials for everything from framing to flooringWood building materials are perhaps the most common and versatile construction materials in the world. Appropriate for almost any structure in a variety of climates, they're useful inside your building and out.
Turn to bricks and stones as wall-worthy construction materialsWhile they're too heavy, awkward and energy-inefficient for broad applications, stone building materials are popular for exterior construction and landscaping designs. Projects that would benefit from the strength of stone building supplies should consider brick, which is equally sturdy but more practical.
bricks and pavers at Business.com. You can also search the Brick Industry Association's member directory or go to ebuild.com.
Choose metal commercial building materials for larger construction projectsMetal building supplies are ideal for large buildings, such as warehouses and skyscrapers, which require metal skeletons for framing.
Add a modern touch to your project with concrete building materialsEven better than brick, and stronger than stone, concrete commercial building materials, including cinder blocks and reinforced concrete, are the predominant choice for modern builders.
Use glass building materials for their aesthetic interestUnlike other building materials, glass is more decorative than structural. Most commonly used for windows, it can also be used for architectural elements like curtain walls and space frame ceilings.
Help the environment with green building materialsIncreasingly popular are environmentally friendly building materials, including sustainable lumber and recycled building supplies.
- Keep your budget top-of-mind when you're buying building materials, supplies and equipment, as it's easy to overspend on them.
- Choosing the best building materials for your project comes down to both form and function. Ask your engineer which commercial building materials will give you the aesthetic that you desire and the structural integrity that you need.
- While traditional building materials like wood and metal will always form the core of commercial building projects, interesting building materials like plastic, ceramics, fabric and even foam are becoming increasingly popular as accents and alternatives.
- Streamline shopping when you purchase prefabricated buildings; they come with all the building materials, supplies and instructions necessary for erecting them.