While it’s true that top-of-the-line kitchen and bathroom fixtures, custom woodwork and a great space layout are key factors in the success of a new home, lighting also plays a major part, albeit in a more subtle way. From ambient lighting to task lighting to decorative lighting, the lighting options you need to consider from home lighting distributors and wholesalers are varied and many.
As you plan for the lighting in your next residential project, you’ll first want to:
- Establish a lighting plan that includes the different types of lighting you need and if you can find everything from one wholesale lighting supplier or if you need to branch out to a variety of home lighting distributors.
- Consider alternative lighting options from lighting distributors, such as fluorescent lighting and other energy-saving fixtures.
- Consult a design professional to ensure the lighting you have in mind from lighting wholesalers creates the right mood in a cohesive way.
Check out wholesale lighting distributors onlineThe great thing about online home lighting distributors is they carry such a huge variety of lighting that you can peruse from the comfort of your computer; the downside is you don't have an informed lighting representative right there to tell you if a particular fixture will meet your size and wattage requirements. If you know exactly what you want, however, purchasing lighting from a home lighting distributor is a good bet.
Consider green lightingEnergy efficiency is no longer just a buzzword - it's become a major player in today's homes and offices. Home lighting distributors and wholesalers have take note of this, and many now offer energy-efficient lighting options.
Ask for discountsMany lighting suppliers offer special pricing or discounts to real estate, design and construction professionals. If you don't see such discounts immediately on lighting wholesalers' websites or in a store, just ask - most wholesale lighting suppliers are willing to make a deal, especially when they know you could become a repeat customer.
Seek out a professionalBecause lighting is so important to a home, perhaps this is an area that you should consider outsourcing. There are many designs firms out there who can provide design suggestions for your overall space or just figure out which lighting works best where. These designers will also have a long list of wholesale lighting suppliers for you to choose from and can usually secure good deals.
- Remember that lighting can create a mood or serve a specific function, so don't make your purchases on the fly. Instead take your time to select quality light fixtures that go with the look you are trying to create.
- If you already have a buyer for the home you're building or renovating and want his or her input, ask for it early so you have time to find what they want and to get a good price. Some lighting fixtures may take as long as six or more weeks to ship, so you don't want a lighting selection to throw off an entire construction schedule.