Commercial metal doors come in a variety of sizes and weights for virtually every type of job. But before you place an order, it helps to know the difference between an iron door, a commercial metal door, and just a metal door – they are not all the same thing.
Metal doors are generally chosen for strength and durability, and they are more secure than wooden doors. An iron door is also strong but more decorative than a basic metal door. Hollow metal doors sacrifice some strength for practicality.
Metal commercial doors are a different grade than metal doors intended for residential use. Some metal commercial doors are built for installation in modular masonry construction and other applications not seen in residential buildings. Some advantages include:
1. Metal doors hard to break into, and help to beef up security.
2. With the right paint, a metal door durable and virtually maintenance-free.
3. Commercial metal doors come in a variety of attractive styles.
Know your metal exterior doorsWhether you are completing a commercial or residential project, exterior metal doors, hollow metal doors and metal entry doors can all be special ordered to fit your exact specifications. Start by browsing catalogs of metal doors designed for your particular application.
Go the the source for hollow metal doorsHollow metal doors are lighter than commercial metal doors, and therefore less expensive and easier to install. A commercial metal door, depending on the application, could require additional structural supports. Be sure you are getting the metal door best suited to your project.
Get what you pay for in a commercial metal entry doorCheck the specs for various types of metal doors to guarantee the one you purchase meets at least the minimum standards. Make sure you understand the installation instructions for the type of door you buy.
- Get all the information you need to make the right exterior metal door purchase by talking to the sales reps either at a showroom or online. Email the manufacturers directly to ask about their products and discuss which one is right for your project.
- Don't let anyone talk you out of using a metal door on your project. Any advantages they may confer wooden or composite doors can be exceeded with the right metal commercial door.