House siding and roofing materials make up a good percentage of the cost of a home. While most contractors initially bid out the cost of roofing and siding material, by proving yourself as a reliable source of these finishing materials you can increase your sales without directly marketing your business.
In order to become the contractor's choice for siding and roofing materials:
1. Have a variety of products in stock. Many stores carry one or two types of vinyl siding, with the ability to special order other products. To become a contractor's favorite, stock a wide variety of colors and grades of vinyl roofing material, as well as cedar siding and various roofing materials.
2. Offer value added service, such as same day or free delivery, free unloading, or no restocking fee on returns.
3. Keep track of what is selling, both in your own inventory and as part of a sales trend. Staying informed about new products is important, as the customer will likely be up on the trends.
Keep up with trends in roofing and siding materialIt may not feel like part of your job description, but knowing if the trend is moving toward asphalt shingles or vinyl roofing materials is important to your business.
Sell accessories for your roofing and siding materials that other suppliers do not carryStandard exterior siding and roofing materials are easy to find. To set yourself apart from the competition, carry products that other stores would have to special order.
Look beyond local access of roofing and siding materialIt is common for local companies to purchase their roofing and siding material from the same suppliers. While convenient, it limits your ability to stay competitive. Establish relationships with several suppliers. When a customer or contractor comes in with a specific request, if you do not have it in stock, you will have a contact.
- With the relatively consistent price of roofing and siding materials, you must be innovative to attract and keep customers.
- Exterior siding is a large component in the total look of a home. Help the customer feel good about their decision, as their word of mouth will provide advertising for you.
- You may have to work harder to sell newer or more expensive products, such as vinyl roofing material and cedar and other wood siding material. It is easier to make the sale if you know the benefits and have samples of the product available.