As you study garage floor epoxy information, you'll notice that not only is the garage floor more attractive after the installation of epoxy flooring, but that the garage floor has better protection. If installed correctly, garage floor epoxy can protect your floors from water damage, oil spills and various other elements. Garage floor epoxy can also help level an uneven floor and repair small cracks.
Depending on the size of the garage floor, you may be able to do the job yourself. However, there are professionals who can install your garage floor epoxy in a matter of hours. Basically the process involves the following steps:
1. The garage floor must be dry. You must resolve any water seepage problems before installing the garage floor epoxy or it may never seal properly.
2. The garage floor must be clean and etched. This roughs up the surface so it bonds with the garage floor epoxy.
3. Garage floor epoxy product is applied to the floor.
4. A sealer applied to the garage floor to add a shiny finish.
Find garage floor epoxy kitsThese kits include all the mixing buckets, brushes and rollers you need to complete a garage. If you don't have any of these tools on hand, the epoxy kits may be a cheaper alternative to get you started on your floor.
Buy just the garage floor epoxyIt is possible to add just garage floor epoxy to the garage floor. If you want to apply just the epoxy, or if you need more epoxy to cover a larger area than a kit can handle, this is a good option.
Add a topcoat to your garage floor epoxy applicationIf you want special effects for your garage floor, such as decorative flecks or a coarser texture, a topcoat is a good item to consider. As an added bonus, a topcoat provides an extra layer of protection.
- Weather conditions must be perfect the day you apply garage floor epoxy. Temperatures generally must be above 50 degrees and the humidity must be low. Otherwise, the product takes too long to dry and it may never cure properly.
- Garage floor epoxy requires careful mixing and handling. Be sure you properly ventilate your workspace as you apply the garage floor epoxy. Use gloves at all times to protect your hands. Follow other safety precautions on the label.