If you’re considering opening your very own store of supplies for fish or you happen to be adding to an existing pet store, you will want to tap into the market of customers who love to customize their own aquariums and aquaculture fish tanks. Whether it's a young child who enters your store or an adult with years of experience, creating that underwater-world setting will be an expressive choice for each customer as he or she gazes down the aisles of aquarium and fish tank supplies.
In order to compete against large box stores, design a specialty fish store that appeals to your customers' aesthetic sensibilities. As you stock your shelves and create your own niche market, consider the following:
- Do your aquarium supplies and products have color and depth?
- Are there a variety of lighting and electronic options available for your customers?
- Do you offer a large enough array of fish?
- Are you providing a wide selection of filters and tank cleaning options, including books and advice to ensure fish remain healthy and aquariums stay beautiful?
Offer a large selection of fish pet supplies for the novice fish ownerNovice fish buyers vary from young children and their parents to college students and small apartment dwellers who want something from the natural world in their home. Think of simple, inexpensive items that easily add some color or visual interest. These items are perfect for end caps and can entice the customer into buying one or two more "splurge," or expensive items.
Include a variety of intermediate fish suppliesSlightly more experienced fish supply customers that perhaps are creating an aquarium for a restaurant or a large one for their home, are often willing to spend more on aquaculture tanks and supplies. Establishing good relationships with aquarium fish wholesalers and aquarium fish distributors will allow you to negotiate discounts. I suggest phoning them directly, during business hours, and asking if you can work with the same person each and every time. Since there are many aquarium fish distributors to choose from, see who will give you the best service, warranty, and price.
Provide specialized fish aquarium supplies for the highly experienced or expert fish enthusiastNow is the time to think outside the box and examine the needs of others in your community. For example, there is always someone who is an expert and wants to do more than simply add fish or pieces of interest to an existing aquarium.
- Offering a variety of fish and fish tank supplies, in addition to being knowledgeable about each one, will enable you to compete with larger stores.
- Weekly e-mails to customers can be an inexpensive way to advertise your upcoming sales and new products.