It's no secret that blogging is a crucial tool for modern marketers looking to drive brand awareness and entice website traffic.
Having a business blog gives you more pages to index in search, effectively boosting SEO and improving your digital visibility, and is a great channel through which to engage and educate both potential and existing customers.
In fact, over 50 percent of online consumers identify blogs as a factor in their decision to purchase.
But blogging isn’t just about writing posts and publishing them to your site. Successful business blogging requires a plan. If you’re ready to take your company's blog to the next level, these 11 expert strategies will position you for success.
Related Article: Spread the Word: 6 Overlooked Channels to Promote Your Blog Posts
Business Blogging Strategies for Attracting Traffic
Did you know that 71.33 percent of organic search traffic comes from the first page of results? When it comes to blog posts, the higher the search ranking, the better the results. Focus on targeting the right keywords with your blog posts, and use these tips to maximize your SEO efforts:
- Target long-tail keywords. Long-tail keywords are longer (phrase-like) and more specific, and users who search for these keywords are typically closer to a point of purchase or conversion. Typically, you will attract less traffic to your blog post targeting these keywords than more general ones, but the visitors you do attract will ultimately be better for your business.
- Write longer posts. Shorter blog posts are easier to generate on a consistent basis, but longer posts often rank higher in search and are shared more across social media. Posts longer than 1,500 words tend to receive 68 percent more engagement on Twitter and more than 22 percent more on Facebook.
- Craft powerful titles. The titles of your blog posts are ultimately going to decide whether or not a potential visitor will click and read them. Keep titles around 65 characters. This is ideal for sharing on social media and showing up in search results without being cut off.
Business Blogging Strategies for Generating Leads
Blogging for your business is a great way to attract and convert new leads. In fact, B2B companies with active blogs tend to generate 67 percent more leads every month as opposed to those who don’t regularly blog. But if a potential customer gets to your blog and finds out your information isn’t helpful, or your design isn’t compelling, you have a greater chance of losing them. These tips will make sure your blog is optimized for conversion:
- Include calls-to-action (CTAs) with every post. Remind your readers that your company is responsible for this valuable resource they have accessed, and that you can help them put it to use. You’ve shown them that you have the knowledge in your field, so they’ll be ready to gain the benefit of your expertise. Place compelling CTAs at the bottom of posts and in sidebars, and include a question at the end of the post if you want to invite readers to respond in the comments.
- Create content for all stages of the buyer journey. Creating and publishing a variety of content types and topics will make sure all of your customers get what they want, and will help diversify your presence in search results. Keep regular readers engaged with a steady flow of new posts, and help new leads understand everything they need to with introductory posts.
- Invite them to subscribe. Your blog posts will draw in your leads, but to continue to nurture them into customers, you also want to capture their contact information. Add a blog subscription form to your blog posts and feature one prominently at the top of your blog to facilitate this.
Related Article: Why the Company Blog is More Important Than You Think
Business Blogging Strategies for Crafting Compelling Content
When it comes down to it, your blog is all about your content, and if you want people to stick around, you need to give them something worth reading. Most visitors won’t go on to read past the headline, so your intro is the game-changer that will convince them to keep going. When creating your blog post content, take a step back and consider these tips:
- Write the intro first. You'll set the tone for the rest of the post and establish its structure and content flow, which will ultimately make it easier to write and read.
- Use punchy language, say something controversial, or tell a story. You have to be entertaining, no matter how mundane the subject. Start your blog posts with a story and you could see a 300 percent increase in full-page readers.
- Don’t sweat the small stuff: Yes, you heard right. At the end of the day, the number one strategy for your business blog should be: have good content. If you can make your posts longer without them being wordy, then shoot for the top rankings. If not, say what you need to say in the length that you need to say it, rather than trying to hit benchmarks.
Related Article: The Write Stuff: 7 Award-Winning Company Blogs to Emulate
Business Blogging Strategies for Establishing Trust
You’ll need to conduct research to support your knowledge when writing posts, and you should link to other sources. However, the sites you link to will help your readers determine whether or not you are trustworthy. Consumers now consider blogs to be the fifth most trusted source for online information, and your links will help guarantee your authenticity:
- Don’t link to open source sites like Wikipedia. Using Wikipedia as a source is a huge no-no. Wikipedia links are well-known to contain incorrect information given that they are publicly updated.
- Link to supporting statistics. Including links in your blog posts to studies from reputable and reliable sources that are well-known prove that your information is accurate and that you know what you’re talking about.