MLA format guidelines help you document sources and put together a manuscript in a professional and organizes manner. The style, often used by college students, is also heavily used in the humanities field by business professionals.
Whether you just need to brush up your MLA writing format skills or have never used the style before, the Internet provides you with many resources. The rules are standard and are generally accepted around the world so if you have doubts as to which format to use, consider MLA as the general go-to style guide for your business reports and communications.
Use MLA citation, format and rules to:
1. Support a thesis. The MLA format guide helps you organize your research and present it clearly to your reader.
2. Avoid plagiarism. Use MLA writing format to summarize your research and cite your sources in-text to avoid issues.
3. Create standard bibliographies or works cited pages and learn to format or lay out your manuscript correctly.
Find MLA format resources to help you use the style in your business reportsPurchase and read the Modern Language Association (MLA) citing, format and notation rules in a variety of books. If you need help with overall writing skills and rules, such as common grammar and punctuation rules, find a guide that encompasses all this information.
Cite your sources using MLA style formatMLA reference format uses in-text citations, using parenthetical references with author and page number, and works cited pages at the end of the manuscript to give more detail about each reference. Start with the basic format: Author. Title. Place of publication: publication company. Year of publication.
Honolulu Community College Library, Dallas Telecollege Library, A Research Guide for Students and Writinghelp-central.com to help you correctly give credit to your references, be they books, periodicals, electronic sources, films, letters, maps or any other works.
Organize your report manuscript using the MLA paper formatMost MLA reports, whether for school or business purposes, include specific pieces which show you used correct format and organizational skills. View sample MLA format essays and MLA format examples to see the correct use of a title, margin and spacing, page numbers, punctuation, headings, visual information and work cited page.
The Owl at Purdue. Use free programs such as the MLA Citation Generator or purchase and download Style Ease software to plug your information into a template and let the program format the report for you. Consider free software downloads from SourceForge.net and FreeSoft411.com.
- Use the MLA format for any research report in which you have sources to list. Unless otherwise directed to use another style, such as APA or Chicago style, use MLA to keep your reports uniformly organized.
- Take care when downloading software from the Internet. Free MLA bibliography format software can take the work out of formatting, but always double check the correctness of the software and run a virus check regularly to ensure the safety of your computer.