Pricing and costs of document storage services vary widely. The costs are determined by the type of document storage management system that you choose.
Start planning your budget by getting prices from several vendors. When determining the price for document storage services consider the following:
1. Off site paper file storage can be a low cost solution, with a set monthly fee.
2. Budget for the cost of boxes when you choose to use an off site file storage facility.
3. Record storage software prices can vary depending on the type of system you choose.
4. Electronic document storage can include additional costs, such as scanning and document preparation.
Save money by using document storage companiesStoring your physical documents off site with a paper file storage company can be one of the most inexpensive methods of document storage. Your files are kept safe and secure without setup, software licensing or scanning fees.
Consider off-the-shelf electronic document storage software programsOff-the-shelf software is an inexpensive solution for digital storage. This type of software allows you to store scanned documents and electronic files. Usually, you pay for a single software license.
Price enterprise level record storage softwareEnterprise level software is usually expensive but provides a range of services. It can integrate with other programs and offers high level security features.
Include the costs of scanning into your record storage services budgetScanning can be done by your employees as needed for most document management systems. However, if you have a lot of older documents that must be digitally stored, a scanning service may be a necessary, but expensive, option. If you use a scanning company as part of your document storage system, make sure the cost includes records preparation. Also check that the indexing and format will integrate with your document management system. Prices for professional scanning are generally around a dollar per page, but can vary depending on how much document preparation and indexing is required.
- If the record storage software provider includes a server, find out if you can purchase one separately. You may be able to save a lot by buying the server on your own. Make sure the server meets the software provider's specifications.
- Don't sacrifice quality for price, particularly if you're in a regulated industry. Make sure the document storage solutions software that you choose is secure and allows for easy retrieval.