Asbestos management software is a useful tool for businesses, schools and agencies that are required to conduct asbestos surveys and testing.
Asbestos abatement and containment in homes and commercial spaces is not simply a desired environmental goal. Asbestos is a highly toxic substance; federal and state agencies, such as the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OHSA), set out stringent standards and regulations, with attendant fines and sanctions, for failure to institute an appropriate asbestos management plan.
Software for asbestos management helps keep your business in compliance with laws and regulations related to asbestos removal and containment. Asbestos management software creates a database of asbestos surveys, testing results, and abatement efforts that allows you to provide necessary reports and information to federal and state authorities as well as tenants and employees. Using asbestos software, you will be able to provide more accurate and reliable information by collecting data, as well as photographs, drawings, building plans, and electronic reports, in a single repository.
Find the right asbestos software solution for your business by:
- Determining whether your business should add an asbestos management system by learning more about federal and state regulations regarding asbestos.
- Assuring that you have in-house knowledge about asbestos management systems.
- Contacting asbestos management software providers and evaluating products.
Use OSHA asbestos software to review federal standardsThe Occupational Safety and Health Administration's (OSHA) Asbestos Advisor provides specific guidance to help you determine whether your business needs an asbestos management system.
Asbestos Advisor. Use the tool to understand how OSHA's asbestos standards may apply to your business. Determining your obligations in relation to state and federal regulations will be key in deciding whether you need asbestos software and what the best asbestos software solution is for your business.
Compare asbestos tracking softwareOnce you've determined your business needs, look at what each asbestos management software provider has to offer.
Find an asbestos management software provider that can address all your environmental needsPartner with a provider that supplies not only your asbestos software solution, but can offer other environmental software solutions or services.
- Investigate whether data will be stored in your own databases or outside of your firewalls, and determine which is best for you. Involve your legal department to assure the confidentiality of any information stored with the asbestos management software supplier.
- Your asbestos management system will probably be administered by only a few people. Some software providers offer 'read only' versions of the data, reports, and other information stored in the asbestos software application. If you want to share the data widely in your organization, select an asbestos software supplier that offers this option.
- Select an asbestos software application with mobile recording instruments that allow data to be transmitted electronically from off-site locations.