Proper asbestos testing equipment is key to the identification of asbestos, a mineral drawn from serpentine rock and found in the ductwork and floors of homes or businesses built prior to the 1970s. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) discovered its harmful effects on humans, such a Mesothelioma, after 60 years of use.
Manufacturers invented and produced asbestos testing equipment because it's unnoticeable when floating in the air. Invisible asbestos fibers release when replacing pipes, removing drywall or remodeling homes that contain asbestos products. There are several things to consider when you take on the task of using equipment for asbestos testing and removal. They are as follows:
1. Asbestos is only dangerous when disturbed. As long as the asbestos products are in good shape the customer is not at risk to inhale any harmful particles.
2. Asbestos abatement equipment is less expensive than asbestos removal equipment. If the material made from asbestos isn't cracked or crumbling then coat it in a heat-resistant paint to prevent the release of fibers.
3. Prevent the spread of asbestos dust by using an industrial vacuum with a micro-filtration filter to clean up the work area. Run the vacuum often to remove dust particles from the air.
Use asbestos testing equipment to detect asbestosHomes or businesses built prior to 1970 have a higher likelihood of being manufactured with asbestos containing products. Asbestos monitoring equipment detects the presence of this harmful mineral. There is asbestos test equipment available to meet the needs of every small business' budget.
Apply asbestos abatement equipment to cover contaminated areasAreas of asbestos that are in good condition, meaning they aren't cracked or flaky, are covered with a sealant, preventing the spread of the contaminated dust. This method can't be used on damaged surfaces.
Vacuum the air and surfaces to remove asbestos particlesAsbestos must be removed from the air and surfaces using an industrial vacuum with a micro-filtration system. A regular vacuum is incapable of removing the tiny asbestos particles allowing them to remain in the air and enter the respiratory system.
Remove asbestos from the home or contaminated businessCompletely remove asbestos from large surfaces in the home or business using a high-powered water jet system. Small surfaces require scrubbing with a stiff nylon brush.
- Educate yourself on the hazards of asbestos and safely using equipment for asbestos testing and removal. Learn about the dangers of asbestos on the OSHA website.
- Wear protective equipment when testing for and removing asbestos. This includes a half-face or full-face respirator with an ultra-fine filter to trap the fine asbestos particles.