Providing your customers with decorated cakes, cookies and other pastries increases your niche in the bakery market, but to recognize a financial payoff, your production level must exceed the cost of your equipment and labor charges. Wedding cakes comprise the largest niche in cake decorating and require the use of professional bakery tools and a large assortment of cake decorating supplies.
Whether you’re considering starting a cake decorating business or expanding an existing bakery to include cake decoration, you’ll need to address:
- The different kinds of cake decorating tools and their use.
- The ability to create special effects that become your signature style.
- Locating professional cake decorating suppliers.
Know your way around the different types of cake equipmentStarting out in the cake decorating business demands a working knowledge of the different kinds of cake decorating tools. Depending upon your desired production level, whether you choose to offer a wide selection of custom cake decorating techniques or a limited array of specialties, knowing your tools will make the process easier.
Purchase professional bakery tools to create a signature styleCreating your own style of cake decorating techniques will set you apart from your competitors. With specialty cake decorating equipment, designed to impart a distinctive flair, you can develop product visibility through consistency.
Buy the right cake decorating tools for the jobThe general rule of business is that the investment in needed tools should pay for itself within a set period, depending upon the cost and projected profit. This assumes that the bakery decorating supplies you purchase reduces labor hours and increases the product turnaround time. When you've determined that investing in new equipment will benefit your business, look for cake decorating supplies online.
- Train employees in one specialty of cake decorating to minimize training hours if your bakery is large enough to hire separate decorators.
- Limit your custom cake decorating techniques to insure consistent quality in your products.
- Subscribe to the International Cake Exploration Society (ICES) for the latest in new equipment and cake decorating techniques.