Snow cone machines are a wise choice for any type of concessions stand or as a stand-alone small business venture during the summer or at the beach. Kids love them and that makes snow cone machines a hit for entertaining at family-friendly events. Snow cone makers are easy to come by and come in a number of types to fit your needs.
Snow cone makers are basically just ice shaving machines. You use the machine to shave the ice, add flavored syrup and serve.
When looking for your first snow cone machine, remember the following:
- Compare prices and styles to determine the type of ice shaving machine you want to buy.
- Consider smaller machines or hand crank machines for special uses.
- Shop used if you're not sure about longevity and whether you want to commit to an expensive new machine.
- Plan for buying syrups and accessories such as carts, stands, dispensers and cups.
Shop for different types of ice shaversMany different types of shave ice machines exist for making snow cones. If you're shopping for a commercial snow cone machine, most are electric or battery operated machines for shaving a block of ice.
Look for small or hand-cranked ice shaversIf you need to make snow cones for a smaller event, for home use, or want to get an old-fashioned feel, try a smaller model or a hand-cranked ice shaving machine.
Shop used for a more affordable snow cone machineSnow cone machines aren't a great short-term investment because of the high cost and short season of usability, but if you just want to try one out for the summer, shop for a used snow cone machine.
Stock up on snow cone syrups and accessoriesAfter you've bought a snow cone machine, you'll need supplies such as cups, spoons and syrups to serve the icy treats to your customers. A wheeled-cart will ease moving the snow cone machine from place to place.
- Consider sugar-free syrup options or sugar-free mixes for snow cone flavoring, especially if you're competing with other snow cone stands. Sugar-free options can set your snow cone business apart from others.