Diesel power generators are essential pieces of equipment for businesses that need to keep the electricity flowing. A diesel power generator combines a diesel engine with an electric generator to produce electricity. Why should your business consider a diesel generator?
- Diesel powered generators can keep you business up and running during a power outage.
- Diesel generators can protect valuable perishable items or other materials that need to stay cool.
- Portable diesel generators can be stored away and brought out only when needed.
- A used diesel generator can be easily purchased and will end up saving you money in the long run.
Decide on stationary or portable diesel generatorsIn general, most businesses will be looking for diesel standby generators that are stationary. You won't generally save any money by buying a portable unit and it's usually less hassle to buy a stationary unit and have it set up ready to go.
Know the load that the regular or portable diesel generator will handleKeeping a hospital up and running at 100% power requires a higher load than a generator that only needs to run a walk in cooler. Buying the correct generator will make sure you have the power you need for the right cost. Handling loads that are much larger or smaller than the generator size will make your generator wear out or break much more quickly.
Look for a major brand diesel generatorAlthough it may be tempting to buy an off brand for the lower cost, your best bet long term is a major brand. This way, you know you can get compatible parts and you'll find more service alternatives if you run into problems.
Buy accessories to make your portable diesel generator work more efficientlyBefore you get the generator up and running, you must make sure that your power cords are appropriate. You may also want to look into automatic transfers, ready to load centers and portability kits.
- An 1800 rpm water cooled diesel generator lasts double or triple the time of a gas generator before major maintenance is needed.