Whatever your product, the transportation logistics of getting it into the hands of your customers rapidly, cost-effectively, and intact are key to your bottom-line profits. Having effective transportation technology in place ensures that you can get finished goods from Point A to Point Z. Making smart decisions about the process can give you a competitive edge over others who manufacture similar products.
Though technology and transportation might seem like a playing field for the big guys, small businesses can benefit too from shaking up the distribution process. Even familiar names in “getting it there” are mainstreaming transportation software and technology that can accelerate your product to the end user.
The challenge lies in first evaluating your needs and then choosing the process that offers the best transportation technologies to get the job done.
To maximize transportation technology benefits, you’ll want to:
1. Consider hiring a consultant skilled in transportation logistics.
2. Consider the benefits of turning the process over to a third-party provider
3. Look into transportation technology that will lower your cost-per-unit.
4. Explore online transportation technologies for scheduling, shipping and tracking your goods.
Consider hiring a transportation logistics consultantConsultants knowledgeable about what it takes to get goods to the end-user can be a valuable resource if you want to keep that process in-house. They can evaluate your current systems and tell you how best to store, package and move out your goods using transportation technologies.
Look into the advantages of using a third-party transportation logistics expertIf you don't have the time or inclination to take on the process in-house, there are third-party providers (also known as 3PL providers) who can step in and take over your transportation logistics utilizing transportation software and technology, working with you on a fully-integrated or as-needed basis.
Explore the benefits of using transportation technology in-houseIntegrating transportation software and technology into your own operation need not be a daunting process. There are plenty of transportation technology developers out there who can help you plug in the right planning and optimization tools.
Try transportation technologies on the InternetIf what you really want is a web-based process that lets you schedule and track deliveries and print reports online, there are providers that seamlessly integrate transportation and technology.
- Consider a consultant first and then defer to a third-party provider who can offer multiple transportation technology benefits.
- The size of your business and complexity of your shipping requirements should determine whether your chosen transportation technology solution is simple or sophisticated.
- Don't over-buy transportation software and technology, but do plan for growth
- Some companies that specialize in transportation technologies will bundle those services that best meet your specific transportation logistics requirements
- Keep an eye on the quality of service that your customers receive from your technology and transportation company. Their performance will directly reflect on your business.
- Periodically evaluate your transportation logistics efficiencies to make sure they still meet your needs.