Over $450 billion in grants will be awarded this year. Many of these will be Grant writing consultants understand how foundations award grants and are skilled in creating detailed, informative and compelling grant proposals.
Before beginning your search for grant writing specialists, it is important to define your grant writing needs. Clearly identify the goal of your services, including project scope, time frame and budget. This information will help you select the best grant writer to meet your needs.
When selecting grant writing companies, research each firm and evaluate the following:
1. What kind of experience do the grant consultants offer to maximize funding opportunities for your business or organization?
2. What services do the grant writing firms provide to differentiate your proposal in the competitive funding selection process?
3. How much should my organization invest in consultant grant writing services?
Hire grant writing consultants that specialize in your industrySelect grant writing experts who are seasoned professionals with extensive experience in your business or industry. Ask to see a list of past and present clients, and request references.
Choose grant writing companies with proven skillsReview the grant writing work of each consulting firm. Ask about value-added services each firm offers above and beyond standard grant writing and research. Request sample proposals similar in scope to your projected grant proposal submissions.
Select grant writing consulting firms that meet your budgetMany grant writing businesses operate on an hourly billing structure. Some grant writing companies contract a flat negotiated fee for long-term client relationships. Your grant consultant cost will depend upon the scope of your services.
- Before signing a contract with a grant writing consulting firm, ask about the firm's success rate for the type of grant your organization is pursuing. Reputable grant writing firms will provide not only the number of grants submitted, but also the percentage of grants won.
- Beware of grant writing companies that work on commission or for a percentage of the project value. Such companies rarely have the best interest of their clients in mind.