Hazardous Materials Decontamination and Containment
Protect your employees and the environment with hazardous materials decontamination and containment equipmentHazardous materials decontamination and containment can be a dangerous business, but OSHA put regulatory procedures and standard equipment in place to make the job as uncomplicated and safe as possible. Companies design hazardous materials decontamination equipment to adhere to all OSHA standards for occupational safety.
With proper use and care, this equipment can make the difference between life and death for hazardous material (hazmat) workers and the general public who may be at risk from exposure. The types of hazmat decon equipment most often used in emergency response are:
1. Personal Protection Equipment (PPE) – hazmat suits, gloves, masks or anything that provides a direct barrier to protect the body from exposure during hazardous materials containment.
2. Portable Decontamination Systems – systems designed for small-scale or one-person hazardous waste decon, set-up or transport.
3. Tents – durable, multi-purpose tents made for hazardous materials decontamination and containment minimize exposure to airborne chemicals and water runoff from cleaning PPE.
4. Showers – emergency safety showers, the first line of defense against personal chemical exposure, and eyewashes offer affordable equipment and significantly decrease the risk of long-term damage to the individual.
Ensure you have the proper PPE required to meet all potential hazmat decontamination occurrences
Consider purchasing portable hazardous materials containment systemsCompanies for whom hazardous chemical spills in very small quantities are a regular possibility, such as an in-house laboratory or small machine shop, may want to invest in small, portable, easy-to-use hazmat containment systems.
Research the designs and durability of hazmat decontamination tentsPneumatic tents are the most important part of hazardous materials containment when dealing with chemicals that travel by air, especially if you work in windy conditions.
Install hazardous materials decontamination equipment like decon showersDecon showers can be used by themselves or attached to a tent set-up. This specific type of hazardous materials decontamination equipment is usually the first line of defense in saving a contaminated person's health.
- Containing a hazardous chemical spill and decontaminating all involved personnel and protecting lives is your top priority, but the runoff water from all decon procedures must also be contained and properly disposed of. If your hazardous materials decontamination and containment system does not have storage barrels or over packs included, you must purchase them separately.
Copyright © 2013 Business.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.