Investigate and buy minicomputers built for tight spacesMinicomputers range in size from a cube-shaped computer about 12 inches deep to a device so small it attaches to the back of a flat-panel monitor. Due to the ingenuity of various manufacturers and providers of minicomputers, small desktop and portable computers of all shapes and sizes exist for a variety of applications.
Business owners are looking for desktop replacements that take up less space and use less power than standard desktops. More people are seeking information about mini computers that are easy to carry and use on the go. Now that the personal computer has passed its 25th birthday, the time is ripe for innovative small footprint designs of all types. Consider some of the advantages of micro computers:
1. Replace larger models in your office with limited network storage space.
2. Lightweight, portable laptops and personal digital assistants make computing on the road easier for business travelers.
3. Many industries look for special-purpose handheld devices to increase productivity and eliminate paperwork in the field.
Buy minicomputers for the desktop
Buy an ultraportable laptop minicomputerUltraportable laptops are those that weigh less than 4 pounds, are less than 1 inch thick and have a screen that is less than 14 inches. They are ideal for the business traveler but often sacrifice something to achieve that low weight, so are not considered replacements for a desktop PC. Rather they are a second computer, used when portability is important.
Buy a special-purpose handheld computerCertain industries require special purpose handheld devices for data collection and communication. These devices can be customized for purposes of sales, inventory, and a variety of other uses.
- Smart phones and PDA devices on the market now perform many of the functions of a mini PC. Though all of the products mentioned above will increase productivity, you might consider a smart phone as well before you make your final decision.
- These types of computers still require a separate monitor, keyboard and mouse, but take up much less space and frequently use less power than the standard desktop PC.
Copyright © 2013 Business.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.