Select from a variety of plastic storage containers to help store, track and move inventoryFor storing and organizing inventory, plastic containers get the job done. Plastic storage containers also act as a protective shield when transporting products from one location to the next. Options have never been more plentiful and today’s plastic storage bins come in a variety of shapes, sizes, colors and price points. With all of this competition, it’s easy to get overwhelmed, but shop wisely and you’ll find the best plastic container styles for your business at the best price.
Before you purchase plastic storage containers consider the following:
- What size and shape plastic containers do you need?
- How much weight will the plastic boxes need to hold?
- How do you want to store the plastic bins (stacked, side by side, etc.)?
- Will the plastic containers remain in only one location or be moved around often?
Determine the plastic container style that's best for your product
CLD Handling Systems and Grainger Industrial Supply offer large varieties of plastic storage containers, from stack-and-nest plastic totes to plastic bins designed to sit on slanted wire shelving.
Get a handle on your plastic storage containersIf your plastic boxes and plastic bins will be moved around a lot, make sure you buy the kind with built-in handles.
Built-in handles on the straight-wall plastic bins offered by LK Goodwin and the plastic containers offered by Material Handling Solutions make them easy to grasp and lift.
Protect your items with specialized plastic binsIf you're dealing with electronics or other products that might be particularly sensitive to things like moisture or light, purchase specialized plastic containers.
Anytime Products sells plastic storage bins that are resistant to moisture, grease, oil, and most chemicals. For static-safe storage, try 3M conductive round plastic containers. GlobalIndustrial.com sells collapsible plastic containers that resist rust, odors and moisture.
Shop around for the best price on plastic storage boxesJust about every merchant sells plastic containers today, from dollar stores to office supply warehouses. For routine office storage needs, plastic boxes, plastic bins and plastic totes from your local office supply store will usually be the most cost-effective. For industrial plastic bins, you'll need more heavy-duty options, which typically cost more.
For general use, consider the plastic storage boxes at Office Depot, the plastic storage bins at OfficeMax or the plastic totes at Staples. For industrial use, comparison shop among the plastic container manufacturers listed on DirectIndustry’s site. Also, visit Business.com for links to a variety of vendors of plastic boxes.
- Don't get too distracted by things like color or style when purchasing plastic bins, plastic totes and other plastic containers. It doesn't matter if they look nice if they don't support the weight of your product.
- Buying in bulk often brings down costs. Consider future needs when shopping for plastic boxes.
- When purchasing plastic storage containers, keep your employees in mind. Choose plastic storage bins that employees can easily access and lift.
- Durability is key. Buy plastic storage boxes that will hold up under the conditions in your office or warehouse.
Copyright © 2013 Business.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.