Program Language Software for Non-Programmers
What is the best first computer programming language to learn?Do you wish that you could "get under the hood" to customize software to fit your professional needs? Or maybe you just want to create a program (like a game) for fun? To achieve this, you will need to learn a software programming language.
Unfortunately, at any given time, there are thousands of languages in use and new ones being created. The trick is to find the one that is easiest to learn and best suits your needs.
When choosing your first computer programming language, consider:
1) Should your preferred language (in code sequence), at first glance, be a simpler, more readable computer programming language when compared to other languages?
2) Is there available tutorial support on the language developer's website?
3) When trial-and-error-testing a program language, is it easy to correct "bugs"?
4) When trial-and-error-testing a program language, which language is least susceptible to "bugs"?
5) Which language is most intuitively natural to learn?
Gather a range of opinions from computer programming professionals
Visit program language developer Web sitesMany high-tech community forums and blogs most-often cite Python, Ruby, Java, C#, C++, and even COBOL as best first computer program languages.
Read beginning chapters of each programming language's online tutorialYou might know at first reading which one of these tutorials is easiest to understand. At a developer's website, there may be several tutorials written in different styles. It may be best to select those geared to non-programmers.
Java, start with the Java Developer Network's Young Developer page. (Don't be intellectually offended by the kid-oriented tutorials offered here.) For C# and C++, start with My Learning Path at Microsoft Visual Studio's Beginner Developer Learning Center.
Create an easy-to-execute program in each language"Hello World" is a simple and almost ridiculously short computer printer command that can be executed by a wide list of computer programming languages. This may be a good way to compare and sample each language's ease of use.
Louisiana Tech or Wolfgang Rosler's list of "Hello World" programs available in a wide variety of computer languages.
Download program language software free (or trial)For safety's sake, these software downloads should preferably be from the developers' websites.
The Java Development Kit with tools may be downloaded for free. An Express Edition of Microsoft Visual Basic computer programming language (recommended for beginners) may also be downloaded for free. A full version of Python software is also free.
- After choosing your first computer program language, you may want to print out the developer's tutorial if you are not comfortable reading an entire tutorial on a screen.
- It is no disgrace to give up. Programming requires a specific type of mental agility. Note that there are many intelligent people who cannot draw or play music.
- Don't worry about not having software certification or a B.S. degree in computer science programming languages. The programmer community tends to respect achievements more than degrees.
Copyright © 2013 Business.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.