Better Project Management
How to keep your projects on track and under budgetStreamlined project management doesn't have to be the stuff of dreams. Look at the task as a step-by-step process instead of one big headache. Use these simple steps to help your projects run much more smoothly:
- Set project goals
- Delegate and follow up
- Remember that attitude is everything
Divide and conquer
Watch the clockWhether you delegate or do it all yourself, one key to a successful project is keeping each aspect on track.
Have a plan BBe on the ball with lists of suppliers, technicians and support staff in case something goes wrong. You'll want to be able to fix the computer, quickly procure new supplies or shift another employee over to fill in if someone runs into trouble.
Be accessible, optimistic and supportiveA frazzled, negative attitude is a sure route to project failure. Announce your availability to your team, keep them energized with encouragement, and praise jobs done well.
- Spell out everything to everyone. If you assume something's being handled, it probably isn't.
- Stay organized. It's hard to stay on schedule if you can't find what you need at a moment's notice.
- Greet all questions with enthusiasm. The only stupid question is the one not asked.
- Don't be afraid to ask your own questions. Whether you're asking your own boss or the client, it's better to clarify needs and desires during the process instead of after the fact.
Copyright © 2013 Business.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.