Business Card Design Basics
Design your own business card for creative controlWhen you design a business card, you have ultimate creative control. Even with little design expertise, you can create an eye-catching business card, which can help you promote your business.
Divide your choices into categories and consider how each choice affects the price and quality of the project. Business card design basics include the following decisions.
1. Choose a printing method. You can either print yourself, using pre-printed business card paper or upload your design to an online printer.
2. Pick the best business card design layout. Your choices include horizontal or vertical, single- or double-sided, folded or a custom shape.
3. Decide whether you want a color or black and white business card.
4. Select paper color and a glossy, matte or a custom plastic surface.
Learn the basics of business card design
Understand guidelines for uploading your full-color business card design to an online printerMany online printers have online design software you can use to design a business card. Get more flexibility in your design by using your own software, but make sure you understand the printer's file format requirements. Read the requirements before you start to design your business card, paying attention to guidelines for trimming and bleeds.
Find fonts and images for your custom business card designAdd interest to your business card by using a unique font, a special piece of clip art or a photo. Consider using a photo design that bleeds to the edge of the business card, which means you make a design with the photo extending beyond the edge of the card.
Design a business card quickly and easily with pre-printed business card paperThe type of material you use for your business cards is part of the design element. If you want to print business cards in-house, you can look for pre-printed and perforated sheets of paper designed specifically for business cards. These papers are a way to get color on a business card even if you print them on a monochrome printer.
- Don't assume that printing your business cards will be less expensive than having an online printer make them. Depending on the business card design and the quantity, an online printer may be able to print it for less than the cost of buying special paper and ink for your computer printer.
Copyright © 2013 Business.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.