Commercial Banks in the United Kingdom
Compare bank corporations to building societies to find the best UK commercial banking solution.Corporate banks and building societies are the UK commercial banking industry's two main types of financial institutions. Your first choice when looking into UK commercial banking would naturally be corporate banks like Barclays, HBOS and Alliance & Leicester, but the lesser-known building societies sometimes offer less expensive, more secure commercial loans. With a commercial bank, UK businesses may pay higher rates.
The main differences between United Kingdom commercial banks and building societies are:
1. Shareholders own and run UK commercial banks. Building societies are mutual banking institutions; opening an account gives you ownership in the society.
2. Money from commercial banks in UK regions translates into payouts of dividends to shareholders; building society funds traditionally mean lower-rate mortgages and higher interest rates on savings accounts.
3. Shareholders vote on policy and practice changes for commercial banks in Britain; account holders have that privilege in building societies.
Decide between commercial banks in the United Kingdom and building societies
Find the loan package that's right for you with UK commercial bankingSearch the hundreds of different packages offered by commercial banks in the UK. Many different types of loan packages exist, like commercial real estate loans, commercial mortgages, income property loans and seasonal commercial loans. It should be easy to find a loan package that fits.
Meet personally with potential business partners at commercial banks in LondonKnow what type of business environment you are entering before you set up meetings. Meeting face-to-face with a financial representative at both institutions can solidify or change your decision. Tell your adviser you are looking into both options; they may be more willing to negotiate terms.
- Many UK commercial banks are now taking on their investments in US sub prime mortgages; have a solid financial package ready when you approach United Kingdom commercial banks.
- If you opt to use a building society to do your commercial banking in the UK, ask about possible demutualisation and future plans.
Copyright © 2013 Business.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.