Conducting an Online Marriage Records Search
Find marriage records on the web and beat standing in line at the courthouse.
Whether you’re a small business owner conducting a background check on a potential employee or lawyer or a private investigator who needs to perform a marriage license search for your client, you can simplify your task by searching for marriage records online.
Even though it’s not possible to print out a copy of a marriage license after you search for marriage records on the Internet, an online marriage records search still simplifies your overall background check process for the following reasons:
- It’s convenient. Performing a marriage license search online reduces the amount of time you need to spend if you eventually have to go to the courthouse to get a copy of the actual marriage license. You can perform a marriage record search as part of your employment screening software's regular processes.
- It’s cost effective. If you conduct a marriage records search online, you won’t have to hire a genealogist, researcher, or third-party background screening consultant to conduct the search, and you don’t have to make a trip to the courthouse.
- It’s less stressful. This alleviates the headache associated with long lines and crowded waiting rooms at public marriage record offices.
Simplify a marriage license search by visiting the appropriate county's website
A marriage license is a public record. Some states maintain widely available marriage license information online. Such databases can simplify your marriage records search.
Properly fill out marriage certificate request forms after conducting a marriage license search
Conducting a marriage records search online can help you identify important details that you need when you complete your order form. Most states want to know the date of the marriage and the county and city where the marriage took place.
Order public marriage records online by using a web-based information provider
It's sometimes possible to order a certified marriage license without leaving your home. The biggest cost involved is the shipping and handling fee, not the document fee. Only certain states and counties have this option.
- An online marriage license search can provide you with needed information to request marriage licenses, but unfortunately you won't always be able to obtain marriage licenses. In some states, such as NY, you must have either a court order or a "documented judicial or other proper purpose."
- Sometimes it's necessary to visit a courthouse to conduct a marriage records search and obtain a marriage certificate. If travel is impractical, find a qualified individual who lives in the area where the appropriate county is located.
- To save money, if the marriage certificate is available through the appropriate state's vital records office, go that route.
Copyright © 2013 Business.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.