Custom Label Printing for Products
From CD label printing to wine label printing, get your product labels printed rightYour product labels are your ultimate point of sale pitch to consumers - so product label printing is one of your most important marketing decisions. Custom label printing is more complex than it looks and before your product labels roll off the presses you'll need to reckon with materials, coatings and adhesives, in addition to design and color reproduction. Some key points to know as you get started on label printing:
1. It's easy to scope out custom label printing choices online and get bids from printers.
2. Printers can handle the entire label printing process, including supplying the paper or other material for your product labels. Some even design product labels.
3. Digital label printing now makes small runs economical, a plus for small business.
4. You can also start out doing your own product label printing on a laser or inkjet printer with blank stock for product labels.
Scout online for label printing services
Choose your material for product labelsPaper product labels work as food labels or for other short-term uses and may be laminated to protect the ink. Film product labels (commonly called BOPP) are best for packages that get wet, like shampoo. Films can be clear, for a see-through product label. For a fancy look, there are product labels "hot-stamped" with gold or silver foil and for that homespun image, brown kraft paper labels.
Pick the best size and shape for product labelsYour package size will dictate your label size choices. For shapes, your printer will offer a standard range of rectangles and squares (with square or round corners) or ovals and circles or you can request product labels in custom shapes.
Select colors for custom label printingFor full-color label printing, it's a challenge to get colors to come out as they looked in your design viewed on a computer monitor. Traditional Flexographic label printing presses typically mix four colors (cyan, magenta, yellow and black) to approximate all colors. New digital printing presses may mix seven colors for a better match. In any case, get proofs of your product labels before okaying production.
Negotiate your product label printing dealYour choices on time, quantity, materials and ink will determine your price. Paper product labels are cheaper but not as durable as film product labels. Water-based adhesives are cheaper but not as long lasting as solvent-based. One-color label printing may save you money over full-color. A low run, fast-turnaround job can be produced by a digital press but at a higher cost than a high-run, slow turnaround job on a Flexographic.
Or do your own product label printingYou'll want professional label printing for high quality, high volume runs and special materials like films and foils. But for low-volume, paper label printing, it's easy to order blank label stock online and make your own on a laser or ink-jet printer.
- Printers will deliver your labels on a roll that fits into a product labeling machine but you can also order product labels in sheets for extra cost.
- If your product is environmentally friendly, make your label-printing process green, too: Ask for the biodegradable film product labels made from corn.
Copyright © 2013 Business.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.