Making the Most of Workers' Compensation
Making the most of workers' compensation means protecting your business and your employeesWorkers comp was established many years ago as a benefit-type system that safeguards any worker hurt or injured while on the job. The Department of Labor and Industrial Relations and the Division of Workers Compensation administers the day-to-day operation of the system.
Prior to the establishment of workers compensation insurance, employees who got hurt of injured on the job could only pursue their employer for compensation through civil or tort law. Workman compensation insurance allows businesses to provide benefits to sick or injured or employees while protecting themselves from high dollar lawsuits. There are some specific federal laws that allow certain types of protection to specific types and classes of workers.
1. The Jones Act provides military personnel the chance to seek benefits called "cure and maintenance" when a worker is injured as a direct result of negligence by the employer while working on any type of U.S. vessels;
2. The Federal Employment Liability Act (FELA) holds railroad employers liable for employees' injuries resulting from the railroad's negligent actions.
3. The Longshore and Harbor Worker's Compensation Act (LHWCA) gives workers comp benefits to particular types of private naval employers.
4. The Black Lung Benefits Act provides compensation for miners who may be suffering from "black lung" disease (pneumoconiosis).
Obtain workers comp training for yourself and your employees
Learn and assess the appropriate workman's comp rates for specific injuriesKnowledge obtained through training can help you understand the workman's compensation rates of each type of compensation under workman's comp. Since the laws that regulate workman's compensation benefits may vary from state to state, you should find state specific information that focuses on the appropriate rates and standards where you live.
Consider hiring a workers comp attorneyWorkman compensation laws are very complicated and vary from state to state. A workers comp lawyer can help assure that all the necessary items and procedures are followed correctly.
- Workers compensation is a complex process that must be done in the proper steps and within specified timeframes in order to be eligible. Knowing the procedures will enable everyone involved to complete the claims process accurately and expeditiously.
Copyright © 2014 Business.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.