Moving Truck Rental Key Terms

Drive away with an understanding of important phrases involved in moving truck rentals

Before you sign an agreement for a moving truck rental, you should take a few moments to understand the key terms of the truck rental industry. After all, a truck rental is a legal contract and if you misunderstand what is required of you, then you could be held liable for damages.

Truck rental key terms basically fall into two categories: truck classifications, such as box truck and stakebed truck, and contractual terms, such as limited damage waiver and CDL. This guide will help you understand both types of terms.

Box truck

The most common type of moving truck rental is a box truck. Your cargo is completely enclosed in a large "box" that is attached to a cab. Typically, the truck is loaded through a pull-down door on the rear of the truck. Box trucks are rented based on their length, which varies from about 10 feet to more than 26 feet.

Stakebed truck

Unlike a box truck, the cargo area of a stakebed truck does not have a roof and the sides are not completely solid. Also, stakebed trucks often come with removable sides. These features give you greater flexibility when you are loading and transporting large items.

Panel van

Panel vans are great for small loads or moves that require maneuvering the rental truck through tight spaces. They are similar to a passenger van, except the windows in the back are replaced with panels.

Limited damage waiver (LDW)

A limited damage waiver, also called a LDW, is a type of insurance that you can purchase for your rental truck. If the truck is lost or damaged, the LDW relieves you of any financial responsibility.

Certificate of insurance

A certificate of insurance is proof that your company has an insurance policy that will cover the truck rental. The truck rental company will sometimes require you to provide a copy for its files.


CDL stands for commercial driver's license. When you rent a truck with a gross vehicle weight of more than 26,000 pounds, the person who is operating the vehicle must have a CDL.
Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles is an excellent resource for more information about a CDL.

Find Pre-Screened Vendors

Compare quotes and save:

Trusted Vendors