Payroll Tax News and Trends
Stay current on payroll withholding information without your business suffering
Payroll withholding policies change often. Keeping up to date with these changes can be a full time job, but keeping up with them can save you from having to pay steep fines and penalties.
Focusing only on taxes in your payroll accounting when you run a business is close to impossible. To make it easier to stay abreast of the most current payroll tax news and trends, while still effectively running your business, consider the following suggestions:
- Comply with all payroll tax laws.
- Learn about payroll tax policy changes as soon as they become effective.
- Find out how payroll tax changes affect your business.
Stay up to date with the latest compliance requirements for payroll taxes
Compliance requirements concerning payroll withholdings change from time to time, and your payroll services need to stay current. Staying up to date on this information, including bracket specific time lines, can save you the hassle of late filing and having to pay penalties.
- Search online for a payroll tax forum where you can ask other business owners and tax professionals questions or you can just read the questions and answers others post.
Know the most up to date payroll tax policies
Part of knowing how to figure payroll taxes is knowing the most current payroll tax policies. These policies include knowing the difference between an employee and an independent contractor. When these policies change, even if the change is minor, they can throw a monkey wrench into the most sophisticated payroll software programs. Getting updates as soon as you know policy effective dates gives you a heads up to help lessen the chance of you making an error when calculating payroll taxes.
- Look online for updates about payroll tax policies, including descriptions of the policies and how the changes affect your employees and your business. The IRS offers numerous publications to help you stay up to date on the latest payroll tax policies.
Find out how changes in payroll withholding affects your business
In some cases, the effects of changes in payroll taxes isn't immediately evident. Despite that fact, even a seemingly simple change in payroll tax programs and policies can affect your business. Economists and attorneys usually have the tools available to forecast how various changes will affect every business. Reading blogs written by these professionals allows you to tailor your business payroll withholding system to cope with the changes to minimize the effect on your business.
- Consider outsourcing your payroll if you find it too difficult to figure payroll taxes. An added bonus of outsourcing is that you now have the security of knowing a professional does your taxes, which is usually a guaranteed service.
Copyright © 2013 Business.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.