Pricing and Costs of Payroll Software
Choose cost-effective payroll software for your business
Business payroll can be a complicated process, especially for small businesses that do not have the luxury of an entire professional department employed take care of payroll issues. Small business payroll software can be an essential part of your payroll solution. Good software includes organizational tools, guides you through special circumstances, and gives you an easier way to keep track of important tax information.
To choose the payroll accounting programs that will be the most cost-effective for your business and still give you all the features that you need, consider the following:
- How large your payroll is.
- What special features you will need.
- How important it is to have an automated payroll system.
Choose free payroll software for small businesses
If you are just starting your business or you just have no room to spend money on payroll software, consider choosing one of the many free payroll software programs. Some free payroll software programs will not contain extra features, such as automatic updates or storing tax information. That will have to be handled manually in most cases.
- Free payroll software is a good initial solution for a startup small business with a few employees. Once your business starts growing - both in size and revenues - you can easily switch to a paid payroll solution to handle your more complex needs.
Purchase web-based payroll programs for your business
Web-based programs provide you with convenient access from the office, home, or any other place that has Internet. And, web-based solutions allow you to subscribe to a payroll service you pay for on a monthly basis; in most cases you can cancel it at any time. The monthly fees for web-based quick payroll software run anywhere from $40 to $80 per month.
- Web-based payroll programs can include time and attendance software, enabling your employees to input their work hours directly into the payroll system. This reduces the possibility of manual transcription errors. It also makes it easier for you to check employee hours for errors or time theft, saving your business money that could be otherwise lost to payroll fraud.
Find payroll systems that are scaled to your business's payroll
It doesn't matter if you have a great program to work with; if the program can handle more than 500 employees and you only have 10, the program will not be cost-effective for your business. Many programs are priced according to the amount of employees they can handle. For fewer than 50 employees, the price ranges from $80 to under $200. For large businesses with more than 500 employees, you will be up towards $1500 or more.
- If the pricing and costs of payroll software is particularly important for the bottom line of your business, take your time with free trials and demos to find the most usable program for your company's budget.
Copyright © 2013 Business.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.