Recycling and Destruction of Electronic Scrap
How to safely recycle electronic scrap and avoid dumping hazardous e-wasteIn today's world of changing technology, computers, TVs, and other electronic equipment quickly becomes obsolete and next year's model replaces it. But what happens to all of these old electronics?
Electronics contain both valuable precious metals and toxic chemicals, so destruction of electronic scrap isn't easy. Instead, you need to ensure that your electronics make it into the hands of an electronic scrap recycling company that can effectively recycle the materials that can be recycled and dispose of those that are hazardous.
When selecting a company for destruction of electronic scrap, consider the following:
1. Find out what types of e-waste companies accept.
2. Get a quote on the recycling and destruction of electronic scrap.
3. Order hazardous waste containers and schedule a pickup for the containers online.
4. Consider reselling your electronics rather than donating them.
5. Check out a recycling program before giving them your electronics to make sure your computer won't be exported to a developing country.
Find out what kind of electronic scrap recycling programs accept
Get a quote for recycling electronic scrapMany electronic scrap recycling companies offer quick quotes online for all of their different services. Because recycling electronic scrap can be complicated, some companies may require you to call and talk to a representative to determine your e-waste management needs.
Order containers for the recycling and destruction of electronic scrapDestroying electronic scrap can create hazardous materials, so when recycling electronic scrap request appropriate containers for the shipment of your e-waste. Some companies offer online order of containers and shipment for recycling outdated electronics.
Consider recycling electronic scrap for a feeSome companies will offer to purchase your used electronics, allowing you to profit from recycling electronic scrap rather than pay a company to remove it for you. Companies may purchase your electronics for the scrap metal or for resale.
Check out company profiles before recycling electronic scrapDon't trust just any company to recycle electronic scrap safely and responsibly. Check out electronic scrap recycling solutions for legitimate and safe disposal.
- While many electronic scrap recycling companies offer data destruction and ensure that computers submitted for recycling or destruction do not contain sensitive material, be sure to take steps yourself to eliminate electronic and physical data before donating. Erase the hard drives on computers and also remove asset tags that may identify you or your company as the owner.
Copyright © 2013 Business.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.