Transportation Tracking Software
A good transport tracking system keeps tabs on your shipmentsTransportation tracking is vital to shippers and customers whether it be for small packages or 40 TEU (20-ft. equivalent unit) containers. That makes it essential that you use the right type of logistics tracking software for your business.
Cargo tracking software can range from very simple to extremely complex, depending on what you want the transport tracking system to do. In fact, it can be as uncomplicated as using a bar code reader and harnessing the power of the Internet.
The various technologies used for transportation tracking include:
1. Bar code scanning combined with electronic document imaging (EDI) technology.
2. Radio frequency ID tags (RFID).
3. Global positioning (GPS) or satellite tracking.
4. Transportation log books.
Use a bar code transport tracking system
Use RFID and transportation tracking software for containers and large shipmentsSome of the larger retailers prefer to receive pallets or container loads of goods with RFID transponder tags used to communicate with a transportation tracking system for tracking and inventory control. RFID is also used for transportation tracking by railroads and ship lines.
Use a GPS system to track cargoGPS systems are being installed in fleets of trucks, containers and rail cars and can deliver extremely accurate data as to the location of your cargo. Unfortunately, the wide use of public GPS systems makes this technology less secure than others.
- Check with your customers before installing one of these systems. Some require that you use RFID transponder tags, and others may prefer bar codes to make your shipments compatible with their inventory control systems.
- Adequately train your employees in using these systems. One mistake could result in lost shipments. Most of the companies offering tracking hardware and software have training programs available.
- Request a demo of the products before you buy.
Copyright © 2013 Business.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.