Transporting Liquids and Chemicals by Truck

Bulk liquid transport and chemical transporting carry specific requirements and actions

Transporting liquids and chemicals by truck requires a Class A Commercial Driver's License (CDL) with hazardous material and tanker endorsements. Training from a recognized truck driving school is required for employment by most trucking companies, and some ask for a few years of driving experience without an accident or major driving violation. Expect to pass a physical, drug screen, provide your work history and allow a background check before employment.

Give special attention to the road when you're transporting liquids by truck. Slow down well in advance because liquid will surge. Be cautious on curves. Centrifugal force can tip the truck over. Liquids can get out of balance and cause an accident.

Follow the hazardous material rules while you're transporting chemicals by truck. Carry a hazardous material handbook in case of a chemical spill, and use the information to determine which hazardous material placard to place on your truck. Shipping paperwork must describe the chemicals you are hauling. When transporting liquids and chemicals by truck, consider the following:

1. Find an accredited school and prepare for employment eligibility.

2. Continue preparation to meet the employment requirements of liquid bulk trucking companies.

3. Learn and follow rules and regulations for chemical transportation.

Prepare for the job of transporting liquids and chemicals by truck

Attend driving school before you begin transporting liquids and chemicals by truck. Some companies will consider hiring you for bulk liquid transport after you graduate from truck driving school, and the company will usually give you a written and driving test. Drive for at least two years commercially to gain experience before most companies will consider hiring you for transporting chemicals.

Fill the requirements for liquid chemical transport employment

Complete your application, pay the required fee and submit fingerprints to the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) for a threat assessment background check before you apply for your hazardous material endorsement. Study the trucking manual to learn the rules and laws of driving a tanker and safe procedures to follow for the transportation of chemicals. Pass a written test to receive the tanker and hazardous material endorsements on your Class A CDL.

Know the procedure when you work in chemical transportation

Transporting liquids and chemicals by truck requires additional training by your employer and demands you follow correct procedure. Keep your shipping papers within reach of the driver's seat at all times. When you get out of the truck these papers must be in the driver's pocket or on the driver's seat. Carry an Emergency Response Guidebook at all times.

  • Put a paper clip on the page of the Emergency Response Guidebook that describes emergency information regarding the chemical you are carrying. Keep the book in the pocket of the driver's door or on the seat when you're transporting chemicals.

Find Pre-Screened Vendors

Compare quotes and save:

Trusted Vendors

National Air Cargo Shipping

Tailor-made options based on your requirements. Delivering customized business to business, heavy weight & expedited airfreight service since 1990.