With lightweight wheelchairs, people who use wheelchairs no longer have to rely on someone else to lift their heavy chair when they need to take it with them. Lightweight folding wheelchairs have the additional convenience of folding away easily for storage in transit.
Wheelchairs typically classify as lightweight if they weigh less than 35 pounds, but some weigh much less. When shopping for a lightweight wheelchair, check out all of the options to be sure you can find a lightweight wheelchair to fit your needs.
When shopping, look for the following:
1. Check out lightweight manual wheelchairs for durability.
2. Look for lightweight transport wheelchairs for the lightest options if you want an ultra lightweight wheelchair.
3. Compare prices and specifications across brands for the ideal weight, weight capacity, and price.
4. Check out lightweight electric wheelchairs and scooters for power mobility.
Look at lightweight manual wheelchairs for standard optionsA manual lightweight transport wheelchair offers the best durability for the price, and comes in lightweight options weighing less than 35 pounds.
Look at lightweight transport wheelchairs for the lightest choicesIf you're looking for an ultra lightweight wheelchair, a transport chair will be your best option, but transport chairs are not meant for constant everyday use and typically scrimp on comfort in favor of lighter weight.
Compare prices and specifications across lightweight wheelchairsLightweight wheelchairs all have different exact weights, as well as weight capacities. Rather than just buying a chair that calls itself a lightweight wheelchair, compare actual weights and make sure the chair has a capacity that fits your needs.
Shop electric when looking for lightweight wheelchairsDon't forget electric options, as well as mobility scooters. When shopping lightweight, manual wheelchairs aren't the only option.
- Lightweight portable wheelchairs are a convenient option for transport and travel, but don't overlook the importance of comfort. If you use a wheelchair most of the time, either plan to have another, more comfortable chair for use around the house, or invest in some medical cushions for your lightweight manual wheelchair to be sure an uncomfortable chair doesn't affect your body.