Medical thermometers, which take the temperature of the human body (as opposed to the temperature of food or the outside air), come in many forms. We’re all familiar with oral and rectal thermometers, but there are many other types of medical thermometers. Clinical or doctor thermometers can be electronic, digital, liquid, oral, rectal, ear and basal. Hospitals, doctor offices and clinics are the biggest users of medical thermometers.
When you buy medical thermometers, consider the following:
- Look for a high quality medical thermometer with consistent accuracy and a warranty.
- Oral and rectal thermometers come in several forms: Digital thermometers provide a digital readout, whereas liquid thermometers are filled with mercury, which rises on a scale to denote the temperature reading.
- To save money, consider a distributor of used (but sterile and safe) medical equipment for medical thermometers.
Choose the right type of doctor thermometer for the patientChoose from among various types of medical thermometers depending on the need and the patient. For an infant or small child, choose a rectal thermometer or digital ear or underarm thermometer that can be used while the child is sleeping. There are also infant thermometers shaped like a baby pacifier for ease of use. Oral thermometers are for older children and adults who are capable of holding it under their tongue for an extended period of time. Digital basal thermometers measure basal body temperature to determine ovulation cycles and aid women who want to conceive or avoid pregnancy.
Suppliers of medical thermometers sell thermometers for every needShop around for a supplier of medical thermometers. Sellers of medical thermometers carry a wide range of personal and hospital thermometers. Look for digital thermometers in a wide range of colors, with centigrade and Fahrenheit readouts, with fever alarm tone over 99.5ºF, flex thermometers and 10-second or 60-second readout. A hospital thermometer kit includes probe covers and exchangeable tips. Handheld electronic thermometers are appropriate for frequent use in one room or office and come with a wall mount.
Look for a reputable maker or supplier of medical thermometersWhen buying from a maker of medical thermometers, look for accuracy in clinical thermometer manufacturing. Large manufacturers and suppliers of medical thermometers offer home or clinical thermometers, bulk packs or individual packs and disposable thermometers. They also offer operating instructions in English or Spanish in downloadable PDF files, and extended warranties and price guarantees.
- Accessories and add-ons for medical thermometers include preheated probe tip and sensors, batteries, user feedback system, memory recall of last reading, extra probe covers, thermometer stand and wall mounts.
- Always dispose of mercury thermometers at appropriate waste disposal sites.
- Unique and custom medical thermometers include temporal artery thermometers that are placed on the forehead, non-contact temperature sensors and veterinary rectal thermometers.