A home and garden store needs to offer a variety of items for the home and garden. However, there are thousands of home and garden products available for home decor stores to sell.
The amount of products available in this industry makes it difficult to decide where to begin. Your challenge is figuring out who your potential clients are and what types of products they will buy.
That’s not easy to do. Each customer will have unique ideas about what home and garden items he or she is looking to purchase. Some customers will buy housewares, like china, while others are looking for special and unique items, like globe garden lighting. One way to stay ahead of the competition is to offer a little bit of everything, and to remember the following tips:
1. Research your client base and offer home decorating items that will appeal to them.
2. Stock house and garden items. Plant stands, flowerpots, and baskets are items for indoors or out.
3. Buy items that go together. If there is a palm tree lamp, a palm tree rug, and a palm tree figurine, sell them all. Customers like to buy sets.
Begin with a home and garden business planA home and garden business plan will help you set goals and plan for the future.
Stay up-to-date on home and garden products by joining an associationAssociations are great for a number of reasons. They help businesses stay informed about new trends, connect with other businesses and market their products by providing trade show information.
Sell a variety of home decorHome decor encompasses a large range of products, including area rugs, wall groupings, candles, flowers, organizers, and so much more. Offer a variety of items to please as many customers as possible.
- Buy items in bulk to receive better discounts.
- Establish a good rapport with a few home decor stores or wholesalers, and offer to show their home decor catalogs to clients who want special orders.